Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Mixing Metallics

Metallics are a huge trend in scrapbooking right now.  And I'm all in - I love the shine and/or glitter they add to my projects.  But I've always used one metallic on a project - silver, rose gold, gold, bronze or copper.  I don't mix metallic when I am picking jewelry so why would I mix them on a scrapbook project?

But the challenge this week at Studio Calico was to pull together a simple project with new (to you) colors.  So I challenged myself to mix metallics.  (And as a bonus, my simple layout design was based on the Sunday sketch.)

Saturday my daughter printed some pictures from her freshman year of high school from her phone and gave them to me to scrapbook for her album.  Those photos are a gift since candids with friends are hard to come by when they are in high school.  And one of those photos were of a friend - Christian - she talked about all year long.  I am super excited to be able to incude that relationship in her album.

I had a tag from the Pink Paislee Atlas collection (LOVE!) sitting on my desk that started my design.  Then I pulled some scraps of my favorite papers from the Carolina Moon kit that happened to coordinate perfectly with the tag.  In the spirit of keeping it simple, I didn't trim a single piece of paper or mat my picture.  I just laayered the paper strips and tags one either side of hte picture.


The tag had silver accents and I attached a Heidi Swapp charm to the twine running through the tag to add  different element.  And I added some other little emebellishments, including copper hearts  (from the Galileo project life kit) and arrows (from Pretty Little Studio).  Silver stars and dots from the Bottle Toss project life add on last night added more shine.  And that big white acrylic word created a great title without weighing down the whole layout.  I really like the white on white.

I have to admit to linking the mix of copper and silver here.  Maybe I should try mixing metallics when I wear jewelry too?

Thanks for stopping by.


2 comments:

  1. Great layout and photo! I do like the metallics together. Looks awesome. And that's an awesome tag, too, I'll have to check out Atlas. Michelle t ps....thank you for your kindness....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixing metallics is uncomfortable for me too--it just seems so wrong! LOL. This past weekend I actually mixed a little bit of gold sparkle with silver on a layout and it felt so freeing! Ha ha. Great work as usual!

    ReplyDelete